Government and Community Relations Manager
AIC’s Government and Community Relations Manager plays an integral role within the organization and serves on the Senior Leadership Team. This position conceptualizes and executes programs and events in AIC’s Center and on Capitol Hill. Such programs capture current events and trends in the U.S. and the Middle East/North Africa and promote interfaith/intercultural understanding. S/he reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Communications Director, Director of Development, and Project Nur Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate on Senior Leadership Team setting strategy for the organization.
- Conceptualize programs and events for AIC’s D.C. Center and Capitol Hill Distinguished Speaker Series.
- Engage dynamic speakers and presenters for AIC events.
- Serve as liaison with performers, speakers, vendors, and partner organizations on event-related matters.
- Manage Center and Capitol Hill event and program production including venues, event logistics, speakers and vendor contracts.
- Prepare department and program budgets.
- Track event finances including purchase orders, check requests, and invoicing.
- Work with AIC’s Director of Media and Communications to develop program marketing materials including print and social media for Capitol Hill and Center programs.
- Provide periodic progress reports to staff.
- With Administrative Assistant, coordinate rentals of AIC Center to outside groups and conduct site visits.
- Coordinate staff and volunteer support around Center and Capitol Hill programs.
- Coordinate the set up and break down of events.
Policy Research and Analysis
- Keep up on current legislative actions related to AIC’s mission and programming
- Identify priorities for support of legislation.
- Conduct research on certain priority topics including key issues surrounding current and upcoming programming.
- Conduct legislative tracking.
Communications and Representation
- Represent AIC at internal and external events and disseminate information about AIC’s programs.
- Liaise with government officials, NGO representatives and community members to increase AIC’s footprint.
- Provide expertise on key policy issues related to AIC’s agenda through briefings of key officials and other relevant actors, publications, and participation in working groups, conferences and roundtable events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of four years experience in community and/or government relations.
- Demonstrated event and program planning preferably with a record of high impact events, policy interaction, and experience working directly with legislation.
- Minimum of one year management and supervisory experience.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written), including cross-cultural skills, media skills, and the ability to deal with counterparts at all levels of society and politics.
- Familiarity with programs in civil society and civic engagement.
- Knowledge of issues pertinent to American Muslims preferred.
- Arabic language skills and/or experience in the Middle East/North Africa region a bonus.
How to apply
- Candidates should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Successful candidates will be contacted for a telephone or in-person interview.