- This event has passed.
[D.C.] Capitol Hill Briefing on Withdrawal of U.S. Troops from Iraq
November 15, 2011 @ 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
In Cooperation with Congressman Trent Franks, AIC Presents:
The Character of the American Drawdown in Iraq
A Panel Briefing & Discussion and part of AIC’s Capitol Hill Lecture Series
U.S. troops will be withdrawn from Iraq by the end of 2011 after nine years on the ground. How will capacity building in Iraq adapt to meet this new reality? Panelists will discuss the natural progression from a U.S. military-led capacity building endeavor to a civilian-led development and reconstruction effort. Analysis will focus on the future of American involvement in Iraq and how it relates to institutionalization of the country, as well as how it relates to regional and domestic security. Emphasis will be placed on addressing the needs of democratic and economic development in Iraq.
- Zainab Al-Suwaij, Executive Director, AIC – Introductory Remarks
- John T. Pinna, Office of Government Relations, AIC – Moderator
- Rahman Aljebouri, Director, MENA Programs, National Endowment for Democracy (NED) – Panelist
- Dr. Judith Yaphe, Distinguished Research Fellow for the Middle East, Institute for National Strategic Studies at National Defense University – Panelist
- Benjamin Parry, Senior Program Manager for MENA, AIC – Panelist
- Dr. Douglas A. Ollivant, Senior Fellow, National Security Studies Program – Panelist (Unable to attend due to last-minute scheduling conflict.)