AIC, through its Office of Government & International Relations, recommends, advises and supports legislation that promotes international religious freedom, civil rights, and democracy through participation in government programming in the United States as well as all over the world. AIC accomplishes this through letter signing initiatives, campaigns, meetings with congressional leaders and suggesting policy solutions.
Legislative Tracking and Policy Analysis Papers
AIC conducts daily legislative tracking on issues relating to civil rights using the U.S. Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as our benchmark. We stay ever vigilant to ensure that American Muslim rights are not curbed by policy and rhetoric.
AIC drafts position papers on the current and pertinent issues relevant to American Muslims. AIC also drafts policy analysis papers that are issued directly to the U.S. Congress and Executive Branches of Government. AIC partners with many other organizations on issues relating directly to the U.S. Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Current legislation being monitored and/or addressed:
- H.R.963, H.R.3116, S.505 related to H.R. 495 – See Something, Say Something Act of 2011
- H.R. 2867 – United States Commission on International Religious Freedom Reform and Reauthorization Act of 2011 (Press Release) (Letter to Senator Durbin)
- H.R. 2185 – Refugee Protection Act of 2011
- S. 1245, related to H.R. 440 – Near East and South Central Asia Religious Freedom Act of 2011 (Press Release) (Letter to Senate Committee on Foreign Relations)
- The Mitchell Report: “Rising Government Restrictions on Religion” – October 2011
- Congressional Letter to the Prime Minister on Sectarian Drift – October 2011
- NGOs against Sectarian Drift – November 2011
- NGO letter to the Secretary of State on Religious Freedom – June 2011
- Congressional Letter to Prime Minister on Religious Freedom – December 2011
- Human Rights Without Frontiers Report – Abduction and Deprivation of Freedom for the Purpose of Religious De-Conversion – December 2011
- NGOs for Religious Freedom – February 2012