There is an ancient saying. “Keep the Qur’an in the right hand and science in the left.” On the surface this saying implies a distinct division between Islam and science. Looking deeper, we realize that the right is the dominant hand. So while Muslims study science, they should always look back and defer to the Qur’an. What science cannot answer will be found in the Qur’an. Allah is Supreme.
What is the reality for today’s American Muslims? Where do modern Muslims stand on evolution or the big bang theory? Do today’s Muslims keep a strict division between their faith and science? The answers to those questions are unknown.
About the Series
Science and Islam is a groundbreaking series of dialogues analyzing the intersection of Islamic faith and science. Dialogues, held at college campuses across the country, address issues like creation, evolution and extraterrestrial life. A panel of prominent Muslim scientist, along with students and other audience members, explores Muslim perspectives on science and discusses how Muslim Americans grapple with some of today’s scientific advancements.
Tomorrow’s World: Religion or Science?
Extraterrestrial Life: An Islamic Perspective
Islamic Scientific Contributions to Civilization
Creation of the Universe: Qu'ranic Concepts and Scientific Theories, University of Iowa
Reconciling Muslim Tradition and the Theory of Evolution, Boston University
Religious Orthodoxy and the Battle for Rationality, The George Washington University
AIC’s Executive Director Zainab Al-Suwaij spoke with Joyce Hackel of Public Radio International concerning the Counter Violent Extremism Summit held by the White House. Zainab spoke about methods by recruiters […]
AIC’s Executive Director Zainab Al-Suwaij spoke to PBS News Hour’s Judy Woodruff about countering violent extremism and AIC’s program, Project Nur and their campaign “Voices Against Radicalism.” Click below to […]
The USA Today recently interviewed AIC’s Executive Director, Zainab Al-Suwaij, about Project Nur and the students’ effort to educate communities about the Syrian conflict. Click here to read the full article.
- "Actor Angelina Jolie pleaded with world powers Friday to help the millions of Syrian refugees, sharply... http://t.co/nLmlVSIa0q 11 hours ago
- In response to the anti-Muslim ads all over New York City public subways and buses this past year, these new ads... http://t.co/2i97hv1Tlh 3 days ago
- “I tried to enter Greece four times. Each attempt was by night, but the Greek police kept catching me,” says... http://t.co/VaHuelDzva 5 days ago
- "The Ismailis and other minorities face a tough choice — to mobilize their communities to join the regime's... http://t.co/Dml3ueQflC 5 days ago
- "The court found Morsi and 14 other members of the Muslim Brotherhood guilty of inciting violence against... http://t.co/PEpjzQp8Sm 6 days ago