There is an ancient saying. “Keep the Qur’an in the right hand and science in the left.” On the surface this saying implies a distinct division between Islam and science. Looking deeper, we realize that the right is the dominant hand. So while Muslims study science, they should always look back and defer to the Qur’an. What science cannot answer will be found in the Qur’an. Allah is Supreme.
What is the reality for today’s American Muslims? Where do modern Muslims stand on evolution or the big bang theory? Do today’s Muslims keep a strict division between their faith and science? The answers to those questions are unknown.
About the Series
Science and Islam is a groundbreaking series of dialogues analyzing the intersection of Islamic faith and science. Dialogues, held at college campuses across the country, address issues like creation, evolution and extraterrestrial life. A panel of prominent Muslim scientist, along with students and other audience members, explores Muslim perspectives on science and discusses how Muslim Americans grapple with some of today’s scientific advancements.
Tomorrow’s World: Religion or Science?
Extraterrestrial Life: An Islamic Perspective
Islamic Scientific Contributions to Civilization
Creation of the Universe: Qu'ranic Concepts and Scientific Theories, University of Iowa
Reconciling Muslim Tradition and the Theory of Evolution, Boston University
Religious Orthodoxy and the Battle for Rationality, The George Washington University
The USA Today recently interviewed AIC’s Executive Director, Zainab Al-Suwaij, about Project Nur and the students’ effort to educate communities about the Syrian conflict. Click here to read the full article.
UICSPH Project Summary: U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations praises program’s “proven results”
The University of Illinois at Chicago’s School of Public Health posted a summary abstract of AIC’s Ambassadors for Peace Project in Iraq, which wrapped up in December 2013. It highlights […]
BOSTON, December 4— On the heels of the 20th anniversary of the establishment of the U.N. Human Rights Day, the Cultural Center at the The American Islamic Congress (AIC) will […]
- Thanks to everyone who came out and joined us for today's event on ISIS. We hope to see you again in the future. http://t.co/douxZRSmFv 10 hours ago
- I posted 17 photos on Facebook in the album "ISIS in Iraq: Political or Religious Conflict? Capitol Hill Event" http://t.co/U0tUPpEkA1 10 hours ago
- Iraqi TV with @Zainab17 #AIC_IRAQ #ISIS #CapitolHill http://t.co/OT752vVVH8 11 hours ago
- Post Q&A: interview with Nina Shea #AIC_IRAQ #ISIS http://t.co/5P8LYNpKNY 12 hours ago
- Question and answer period. #AIC_Iraq http://t.co/q6M6RWRVBN 12 hours ago