There is an ancient saying. “Keep the Qur’an in the right hand and science in the left.” On the surface this saying implies a distinct division between Islam and science. Looking deeper, we realize that the right is the dominant hand. So while Muslims study science, they should always look back and defer to the Qur’an. What science cannot answer will be found in the Qur’an. Allah is Supreme.
What is the reality for today’s American Muslims? Where do modern Muslims stand on evolution or the big bang theory? Do today’s Muslims keep a strict division between their faith and science? The answers to those questions are unknown.
About the Series
Science and Islam is a groundbreaking series of dialogues analyzing the intersection of Islamic faith and science. Dialogues, held at college campuses across the country, address issues like creation, evolution and extraterrestrial life. A panel of prominent Muslim scientist, along with students and other audience members, explores Muslim perspectives on science and discusses how Muslim Americans grapple with some of today’s scientific advancements.
Tomorrow’s World: Religion or Science?
Extraterrestrial Life: An Islamic Perspective
Islamic Scientific Contributions to Civilization
Creation of the Universe: Qu'ranic Concepts and Scientific Theories, University of Iowa
Reconciling Muslim Tradition and the Theory of Evolution, Boston University
Religious Orthodoxy and the Battle for Rationality, The George Washington University
AIC’s Executive Director Zainab Al-Suwaij spoke with Joyce Hackel of Public Radio International concerning the Counter Violent Extremism Summit held by the White House. Zainab spoke about methods by recruiters […]
AIC’s Executive Director Zainab Al-Suwaij spoke to PBS News Hour’s Judy Woodruff about countering violent extremism and AIC’s program, Project Nur and their campaign “Voices Against Radicalism.” Click below to […]
The USA Today recently interviewed AIC’s Executive Director, Zainab Al-Suwaij, about Project Nur and the students’ effort to educate communities about the Syrian conflict. Click here to read the full article.
- Canada's Ahmadiyya Muslim community launched the #MeetAMuslimFamily campaign on March 1 to bring neighbors... http://t.co/UXUdFsJmDK 24 hours ago
- "The vast majority of Muslim clerics say the group cherry picks what it wants from Islam's holy book, the Quran,... http://t.co/Ckm3Zd8e2U 2 days ago
- "The U.N. documented some of the staggeringly gruesome accounts of rape and torture of women under Islamic State... http://t.co/lNePkOIlJW 3 days ago
- ”I have the right of education. I have the right to play. I have the right to sing. I have the right to talk. I... http://t.co/QhMaiILbEk 3 days ago
- "Worldwide, social hostilities involving religion declined somewhat in 2013 after reaching a six-year peak the... http://t.co/6cAmPEqWUC 3 days ago